Friday, August 28, 2009

A Movie Analysis


I just finished watching "Chocolate," a Tia movie about a girl with autism (does she have autism? I didn't think it was entirely clear in the movie) who is an idiot savant with mad marshal arts skills. Apparently it came out in 2008. Lovely English subtitles. As a child she starts watching the guys doing Tia kickboxing in the courtyard and it just sort of expands from there. It's also about children trying to save a loving parent (in this case her mother) who gave up everything to take care of her unique daughter. There's a bit of a Romeo and Juliet feel to the parents' relationship. That of course ends when the evil crime boss kills the mom.
Frankly I was expecting everyone to die. It seems to be a theme in "feel good" Asian movies. Of course, they also have honor suicide, so I don't know why I'm surprised. Surprisingly, that isn't the case in this movie. Turns out that the little savant got her mad skills (hehe, I love that expression) from her Japanese daddy (her mom was Tia) and he comes to the rescue in the end. Of course, that's how long it takes the mom to ask for help. I couldn't figure out why she didn't just go with him in the beginning, but I guess if she had there wouldn't be a movie would there? Anyway, despite being stabbed and gargling blood at one point the father recovers. I think he should be featured on Heroes, obviously he has Woverine-like healing ablity, plus super agility. Anyway, after chasing down and killing her mother's killer (hey, the dad was recovering, it takes a few minutes to heal from a six inch stab wound), she comes back to the body and is comforted by her father. Her father, who apparently loved both her mother and her takes her to the much more beautiful and comfortable Japan. It ends with them walking along a shore and a short monologue about childhood and love making everything worthwhile.
I think they definately could have done a worse job. I was sad that the cousin didn't go with them though, and I would have liked the mother to be able to say goodbye.
There were minut-e that I know I missed. Things that were supposed to have signifigance but because of the cultural differences I only saw them cinimatically highlighted but have no clue of the supposed signifigance. Like the beads, or why the mother never left, or the problem with her sending a letter, like, once every four years. I couldn't figure out why the mob boss shot himself in the toe at the beginning either. I wasn't quite sure what the father giving his pin to the elders meant (that he was quitting the mob?). Oh, and I don't understand the title. Having been in Korea and knowing that mixed kids are often called 'monkey' I wonder if it's a reference to the girl's mixed parentage. Otherwise to the candies she ate (but considering that it wasn't a particularly coherent theme in the movie I don't know why they'd title because of that). I did get that the mom put herself in front of the father when he was about to be stabbed and that they were always bound by blood. Any other symbolism or pop references were completely lost on me.
Interesting movie though, and I'd definately recomend it. It's action packed and has some funny and touching scenes, and an ending that's not half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment