Monday, April 9, 2012

I photoshopped Myself Today

Cleaned up my skin, made my eyes and teeth whiter, lengthened my chin a little and narrowed my jaw, made my mouth a little broader and my eyes a little further apart. I think it looks absolutely stunning. It's depressing.
The changes are subtle but significant based on what I understand to be the cultural ideal. I understand that there are many aspects that are still not "ideal," for example: my nose (but I LIKE my nose!),  my weight (there was no way I could photoshop collar bones into this picture, I thought about it), my hair (thickness, color, frizzies), that one front tooth that sticks just a little bit forward, the slight asymmetry of my nostrils, lips, and eyebrows, and the prominence of my cheekbones, but my goal was to create ideal proportions, and I was pretty depressed when I finished.

For the record, the top picture is the original, with my messy table in the background. The second is photoshopped.






































Note: Using photoshop to change your own face to make it prettier, particularly in ways that are cosmetically impossible (like moving your eyes further apart) is a lesson is self-degradation. I wonder if models and tv/movie stars have really low self-esteem...

No comments:

Post a Comment