Thursday, April 26, 2012

What I Would Do With $150,000

Recently, a few people won a huge some of money in a big'ol lottery. They won a lot of money, millions. I go to college and teach ESL in the evenings, I cannot even imagine what I would do with $1,000,000 dollars, let alone more than that. I can, however, imagine exactly what I would do with $150,000. Though I understand that the likelihood of me ever having that much money is slim.

First:

I would put away $70,000 in an interest accruing account for graduate school. I'm going to get my graduate degree in Counseling and Art Therapy. :-)


Second:

I would drop $25,000 to pay off my present debt, most of it student loans.


Third:

I would open another account and put $15,000 in there in case things ever got really bad. That's enough for me to live meagerly and pay rent for a year.


Fourth:

I would give $15,000 to charitable organizations, because if I have that kind of good fortune I need to give some of it back.


Fifth:

I would invest $15,000 in my health. Going to the doctor for a physical, getting my teeth fixed (I need implants, and my jaw is too small for my teeth), going to a nutritionist, and getting whatever medicines it might turn out that I need.


Sixth:

I would give $5,000 to my parents, because they've given me so much.


Seventh:

I would put $4,000 in an account to begin saving for a small, portable, eco-friendly, economically friendly,  light-on-the-grid home.


Finally:

I would put $1,000 dollars in my bank account to make life just a little easier.

Who knows, maybe I would get enough scholarships and grants for graduate school that I could redirect some of that money to the house. That would be really awesome. It will be awesome, period, if I can get most of my grad school paid for by scholarships and grants. 

If you would like to help me by donating, feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you, you can even say where you would like the money directed. If not, that's fine, at least I put it out there. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment