Tuesday, May 18, 2010

An Imperfect Analogy, but it works

I am in Oregon. Oregon is nice. I like Oregon.
There's just one hiccup. See, God has said to fast until we get to Florida. So, no eating until you get to Florida. Well, you can eat, it's just bad, and you'll feel guilty, and it will screw up food for you for the rest of your life, and God will be disappointed. It's not that food is bad, though some people seem to think that wanting food is bad, it's just not supposed to be partaken of until Florida.

Now I'm fasting. I've been fasting for a long time. And, frankly, I want to go to Florida. But people say to me "Oregon is nice, why would you want to leave? Why wait until Florida?" "What if you get there and Florida has really crappy food?" "You know, there are alligators in Florida!" To them I say "You're already eating. I want to go to Florida."

Some say to me "Man doth not live by bread alone." To them I say "Your stomach clearly isn't growling the same way mine is. I want to go to Florida."
Now I know that getting to Florida takes time. It's a journey. You don't want to rush it and end up in the swamps or something, because if you're entirely mosquito bitten even the best food won't be worth it. But...I'm starving. And, I'm not going to eat till I get to Florida.
Some people are fasting but they like to smell the food. Others go as far as to lick it. Some even try drinking milkshakes and saying they're not "eating," some imagine how it'll be to eat.

I'm not doing any of that, but I have to say that you get to a certain point in the fast and you notice every time there's food around. Whether it's just laying there or someone else is eating, you notice. I notice.
Yes, God is good. I don't think he ask me to fast to punish me.
But I have this to say:
I want to go to Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment