Thursday, May 16, 2013

Secret of Me # 4

I don't have a television. 

Really.

I'm not a weirdo. I don't wear long skirts. I don't forgo technology.

But,

I don't "watch TV." I can't even stand to be in the same room as a TV that's on for "background noise." Or, even when it's not, for more than an hour or two.

Because it's not in the background, it's going into your head, influencing your thoughts and ideas. Unless you are constantly and consciously filtering out all the influence the TV is putting in than you're just letting someone effect your life and thoughts willy-nilly. 

What I watch I choose to watch. I watch you tube, channels I've subscribed to, things that seem fun or interesting, usually skipping or muting the ads. I watch the shows on their online channels, muting the ads as often as possible. I watch through netflix. If I don't like what I'm watching, I stop. I don't just change the channel.

I hate TV. I hate the buzzing sound it makes, I hate the words constantly being pushed into my head. I hate the constant unending assumptions that I, the viewer, need something and they want to tell me what.
I don't need anything you amoral leech. Thank you very much. 

So, I don't own a television.

I've found I'm a much much happier person overall without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment