Friday, January 27, 2012

Another Little Update

Well, you should be pleased to know that I made an A on both of my psychology tests (though, granted, one A  was achieved through extra credit, but hey, an A is an A).

I also had a good meeting with my church group. I can't say that I know they VERY well but from all I can see they are the best group I have ever found myself in. Very imperfect individuals who are all trying very hard. It makes me feel safe and like I fit in. I don't know about other people but I find that when I'm around people who seem perfect I just want to run screaming because my own imperfections are so glaringly obvious (e.g. my weight).

On the doctor's recommendation my mother also went off the Lasix as they cannot find what is wrong with her. Instead she was encouraged to drink coconut water every day, to cut all salt out of her diet, and to continue to exercise. Perhaps there was one more thing but I've forgotten it. Of course my father was upset. Sometimes it concerns me that I'm as mercurial as him, even if it's a different kind of mercurial. She has been doing this for two days and for two days she has lost .2 pounds. Let me explain why this is significant. Before, when she was taking the Lasix and experiencing the severe bloating, if she skipped the medicine she would gain 1 to 2 pounds each day, even if she had eaten nothing. So, after a few days of this she would be carrying 5 or 6 pounds of bloating water weight around her belly. Now, with what she's doing not only has she not put on 1 to 2 pounds but has, in fact, lost some weight (no matter how minimal). It is encouraging. Her sleep study is Thursday evening.

I received notification that my graduate application is being processed. I have to admit, I almost puked when I saw the email. The busyness of the last few weeks had pushed aside the massive amount of nerves tied to whether or not I get into graduate school in August.

I also began teaching English to Adults and had my first successful class (it was the third one). The first two classes were just terribly difficult and nerve wracking for me. The third was like an amazing beautiful break, or a breeze during a hard run. I am confident that my classes and style will continue to improve.

I was also watching family ties (and That 70's Show, ironically) when I realized that the economic issues that we're dealing with, the problems of corruption and big business and monopoly and people's rights. These are not new issues. These things have been fought and hashed out at least three times before. So, what now? If it's not new was it ever solved or do we just forget about it for a time? If it was dealt with before than how was it built up and why did it fail?
Bread at a baker in Seoul

Presently I'm listening to the State of the Union. I have an hour, why not, right? I wish the president would talk more specifically about how policies will be made rather than grandiose declarations of what he will do. It would be like me telling my students "I will teach you English! If you want to know English, just come to me. I am here for you to learn." Well, yes, technically, and in a very broad sense that's true. But there are limitations, like my off time is mine, and whether or not they work hard, and their own natural intelligence. And, they will not be fluent out of my class; my class is beginning English. After me they will go to intermediate, and then advanced, and then maybe years after they successfully complete the advanced class they will reach fluency. It's my responsibility to meet them where they are, shouldn't this also be the approach of governmental leaders speaking to the general public?

No comments:

Post a Comment