Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why I don't Tell People my Age

Really, I don't care about how old I am. I don't care about how old I look. This may be because I don't look older than I am, it may not. That being said, I don't have a problem with my age, or telling people, but I don't offer that information without being asked.

Today was an example of why. My students asked me if I had kids. Nope. How old was I? 29. Do I have a husband? Nope. No husband. Will I be married next year? Nope, no boyfriend. Why?!

They asked why.

I shrugged and said "No one has asked."

An older gentleman in my class took off his class ring and offered it to me. I laughed. Everyone laughed.

I hate giving my age. Because when you're 29 and single people want to know why. And if I had an answer to that which didn't rip out my heart with a spoon, I would give it.

And change it.

Ah well. 30, you're just around the bend, and then people will hear my age and think I must be a freak that no one married me. So, I think I'll just enjoy 29 while I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment